American Well Releases First-Ever Telehealth Mobile SDK, Enabling Any Organization to Plug Telehealth into its Consumer Applications
—Telehealth Mobile Software Development Kit (SDK) lets hospitals, retailers, health plans, or medical publishers embed telehealth directly into their own apps, under their brand, making online care easier to access than ever before
—American Well to exhibit industry-first SDK capabilities at HIMSS16 in Las Vegas
BOSTON (Feb. 25, 2016) – American Well®, a leading, national telehealth services provider and creator of Amwell for online doctor visits, today unveiled the first-ever mobile Telehealth Software Development Kit (SDK). With the Telehealth Mobile SDK, virtually any health brand – including hospitals, insurers, retailers or medical publishers – can add online doctor visits into their native mobile apps, making on-demand care a part of their owned consumer experience.
“The SDK is a game changer for how consumers will access online healthcare in the future,” said Dr. Roy Schoenberg, CEO and co-founder, American Well. “For the first time, any company with a consumer-facing health application can embed online doctor visits into that app – making telehealth an integral part of their own brand experience. Not only does this build brand loyalty with consumers by offering a compelling service, it makes online healthcare easier to access than ever before.”
Added Dr. Schoenberg, “We believe one day every consumer will use telehealth with their doctor, and the SDK is our guarantee that future is imminent.”
Limitless Use Cases for In-App Telehealth
There are endless examples of how having an immediate doctor’s visit available in-app helps consumers and makes for a better overall healthcare experience. Anticipated use cases include:
- Healthcare management. Health systems with services that let patients check their lab results, book appointments, or access records can add “see a doctor” to the list of available choices. Health plans that surface benefits and insurance deductible information to consumers on mobile can add telehealth services such medical visits, health coaching, and wellness programs.
- Online health information searches. According to the Pew Internet and Research Project, about 72 percent of Americans search for health information online including information about prescription drugs, diagnosis and treatment options. Any app that lets a consumer discover health information can now also offer that consumer an immediate doctor visit for a consultation about that information.
- Prescription refills. Retail pharmacy brands with consumer-facing apps flag when a prescription has run out – and refills require a doctor. Instead of having to schedule an appointment to see a doctor in person, consumers can connect with an independent doctor online, in minutes, to request, and when clinically appropriate, receive a prescription and obtain it the same day.
- Medication compliance and adherence. Patients reviewing information about an already prescribed medication in-app can now connect to a provider for additional help with their medication regimen, including discussing how and when they are taking it, introducing other medications, and diet.
Learn More about the Telehealth Mobile SDK
- At HIMSS16: American Well will exhibit its newest telehealth solutions at the 16th Annual HIMSS Conference this Feb. 29-March 4 in Las Vegas, at Booth #2154, during exhibition hall hours.
- Contact Us: We are excited to develop new partnerships that will bring mobile doctor visits to patients who need them, when they need them. Please email SDK@americanwell.com for more information on why and how to access the SDK.
About American Well
American Well is transforming the way healthcare is delivered through telehealth. We make online doctor visits accessible to everyone for one-off care issues like colds or infections, and chronic condition management, such as diabetes or depression. We deliver healthcare into people’s homes and workplaces through our work with top health plans, health systems and employers, as well as our telehealth app, Amwell. A patient using Amwell can be connected to a board-certified doctor of their choosing in just minutes for a visit carried out over smartphone, tablet, kiosk, phone, or desktop.
American Well and Amwell are registered trademarks or trademarks of American Well Corporation in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners. For more information on our services, visit www.americanwell.com.To download Amwell and have a doctor visit now, visit www.amwell.com.